Plant-based ‘nachos de totopos’ for Veganuary
Plant-based minced beef Guacamole Plant-based cheese sauce Picos de gallo Tortilla chips 100 g cooked black beans Jalapeños, to taste Coriander, to garnish
For the plant-based minced beef: 300 g green pepper 500 g red onion A dash of oil, for frying A pinch of salt 25 g minced garlic 1200 g Flax & Kale It's Plant-Based Picada minced beef 150 ml red wine 250 g tomato passata 30 g chipotle, crushed 100 g sweetcorn 18 g fresh coriander
For the guacamole: 6 avocados 20 g green pepper 20 g spring onion 8 g fresh coriander, chopped 4 ml lemon juice A pinch of salt
For the cheddar cheese sauce: 600 g Flax & Kale It's Plant-Based Rallado cheddar cheese 400 ml soy milk 50 g margarine 1 g salt
For the picos de gallo: 400 g tomatoes 50 g spring onions 70 g fresh coriander, chopped coarsely 35 ml olive oil 2 g salt
Plant-based minced beef
- Cut the peppers and red onions into julienne strips.
- Cover with oil and salt and place over a high heat in a pan. Add the minced garlic, turn the heat to medium and fry for a minute more.
- Add the minced 'beef' to the pan and sauté until lightly browned. Add the red wine and reduce by half.
- Add the tomato sauce and chipotle to the mix and cook for two more minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the sweetcorn and coarsely chopped coriander. Then stir and set to one side.
- Begin by mashing the avocados with a fork.
- Once you’ve reached your desired consistency, stir in the remaining guacamole ingredients.
- Place the finished guacamole into a dish and set aside.
Plant-based cheese sauce
- Place all 'cheese' sauce ingredients into a saucepan. Stir with a spatula over medium heat until the cheese gradually melts and binds with the rest of the ingredients.
Picos de gallo
- Finely dice the tomatoes, spring onion and coriander.
- Mix together and garnish with oil and salt.
- Place the dish of guacamole in the centre of a large plate and scatter the nachos around it.
- Then pour over the warm 'cheese' sauce and 'beef'.
- Continue to layer the ingredients over each other. Then add the picos de gallo and beans, before garnishing with coriander leaves and jalapeño slices.